The pecan is our “Native American Nut.” It is the only tree nut native to our country; all others have been imported. The first documented appearance of the pecan occurred about 8,000 years ago and was used extensively by Native Americans. Without their willingness to share their knowledge of the pecan’s desirability in their daily diet, many early colonists would have perished, both from starvation and illness.
Glover Farms is a family owned and operated business that began in 1969 in the small village of Tularosa, New Mexico. Johnny Glover purchased a 22 acre pecan orchard for his father to manage and rented a barn in which to hold his cleaning plant. Every fall, the family and a few other locals would begin work. The pecans were harvested, then brought in trucks to the barn. The nuts were shoveled onto a conveyor belt where the workers sorted them. Workers bagged them in 100-pound burlap sacks and tied and moved by hand. Soon, local pecan farmers began bringing their pecans to the plant to be cleaned.
In 1971, Mr. Glover added to the farm by purchasing an additional 80 acre orchard. After a few years, a shop was built on this new site to house the updated cleaning plant. In 1998 an additional 80 acres were purchased, and in 2005, another 50 were added.
This 232 acre farm is currently run by Mr. Glover’s son, Jay. He and his family live in a beautiful home in the middle of the largest orchard. The plant cleans approximately 3 million pounds of pecans a year. The cleaning plant has recently been reinvented and revolutionized. A brand new cleaning system was created that uses computers and cameras to sort the pecans. This new plant allows 8,000 to 10,000 pounds of pecans per hour to be processed. Employees are still used in the final stages to ensure quality.
In 2006, Mr. Glover built the Tularosa Travel Center which includes the Tularosa Pecan Company. The family uses this venue to sell pecans. The flavors for the pecans have been developed by our bakers, specifically for our store. If you’re looking for authentic, local, family-owned, quality pecans, you’ve come to the right place!
Tularosa: City of Roses
Nestled on the western slope of the Sacramento Mountains at 4,500 feet above sea level, lies a small, friendly village with an intense and unique past. One of the oldest settlements in the southwest, Tularosa is nationally known as the City of Roses. The name comes from the tules or cattail reeds and roses that once abundantly lined the banks of the Rio Tularosa. A Mexican man by the name of Cesario Duran and 64 other brave determined men came in search of a new life in the fall of 1862, and settled in the lush marshlands surrounding the Rio Tularosa. These men and their families became the first successful settlers to establish a settlement, organize a civil government, and give the township a name. They began building their adobe homes and digging irrigation acequias or ditches to water their gardens and crops. On April 2, 1863, the feast day of Saint Francis de Paula, the settlers celebrated as water flowed through La Asequia Madres or the main irrigation channel throughout the village bringing sustenance to their crops.
However, life in the City of Roses was far from easy. The nearby Mescalero Apache Indians did not appreciate the invasion of the newcomers and showed their hostile disdain by stealing and running off their cattle and sheep, stealing crops and on occasion raiding and killing. The perilous conflict came to a head on April 16 and 17, 1868, when 200 Mescaleros attacked Sergeant Edward Glass, four enlisted men from Fort Stanton and twenty-six members of La Guardia of Tularosa. In less than two days and against all odds, the courageous soldiers and settlers defeated the Indians at the Battle of Round Mountain, nine miles northeast of the village. The Calvary and citizens of Tularosa miraculously suffered only four men wounded, five horses killed and five horses wounded.
While the men of the village were fighting to save their families and homes, the rest of the town stayed behind praying for God’s intervention. As legend goes, they promised to build a church in St. Francis de Paula’s honor if the men were victorious and their lives were spared.
Construction of the oldest church in Otero County first began in 1865, following plans drawn up in 1858, but it wasn’t until the fall of 1868, after the Battle of Round Mountain, that work on it continued until completion. The original church was made of adobe bricks, with no windows, and the walls were six feet thick and eighteen feet high all around. Rev. Francis Boucard celebrated the first mass in May of 1869. Through the years, the church underwent several changes and a major renovation in 1956. One of the bells named “Francisca” was donated in 1886 by Pat Coghlan, “The King of Tularosa,” so named for his owning half of the town. It weighed 423 pounds, cost 23 cents a pound and was cast and shipped from St. Louis, Missouri, by railroad and wagon. It is still in use today. Mr. Coghlan, unfortunately, was later indicted on charges of receiving stolen cattle, which he bought from Billy the Kid.
The first Anglos arrived in 1874. Then a year later in 1875, U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant gave 320 acres of land to the village and Pablo Melendrez laid out this square piece of land into forty-nine blocks. The village was incorporated on December 28, 1916. In 1979, these forty-nine blocks were officially turned into the Historical District of Tularosa.
Some would ask what happened to the lush farmland that attracted the first pioneers to the area. But all we can say is that everything in life changes and this little village has been no different. The summer of 1889 began a three-year drought and many of the farmers were forced to leave. Since that time, rain has come and gone, as have the settlers. During its existence, however, Tularosa has produced cotton, alfalfa, pecans, and is widely known for its wine. And of course, its beautiful roses – hence, the fitting name City of Roses.